Friday, November 18, 2011

Is Walmart Worthy??

I have seen this advertisement a few times and every time I see it the ad gives me goosebumps, makes me smile, and brings tears to my eyes all at the same time.




Every time I see this ad, I get the same reaction and I really wondered why that happened. I knew this was a good and effective ad because it was real and relate-able and emotional, but I really thought that there had to be something more as well. In order to find out what that 'more' was I decided to rate the ad on its stickiness factor:
Simplicity: Very straightforward and easy to follow
Unexpectedness: The mother showing up at the end, the 'reveal' that the mother was a soldier
Credibility: The U.S. soldier, it was a way to say thank you
Concreteness: Well developed beginning, middle, and end
Emotions: ummmm...YES! Happiness, sadness, hope
Stories: Beautifully told story with a pleasant end. It pulls you in and you need to see the whole thing.
This ad, based on the factor, is remarkably sticky and I can't forget it. I am so moved by this ad, but every time I see it I wonder if Walmart is worthy of it. Walmart is about saving money and living a better life, but I don't know if the power that is found in this ad is equivalent to the feelings I have about Walmart. Personally, I think that Target would be better suited for this ad because Target, to me, links to the same emotions and has the same power. Regardless, this put Walmart in a more favorable light because I am not getting bombarded with Walmart deals, but rather, they spent the money to thank the troops. I respect Walmart for that because the troops need to be supported and I think this ad reminds people of all they sacrifice in both a lite and moving way. I love this ad, but I still wonder: Is Walmart worthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment