Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What's in your 'Soul'?

This blog post will probably be shorter than my previous posts because I have decided to focus on one advertisement that makes no sense to me at all.
Most people will recognize the Kia 'Soul' commercials with the dancing hamsters dressed in hip clothing.



My biggest problem with this ad is that I don't know anything about the car. Actually, when I first saw the ad I thought that it was for a video game until I actually saw the hamsters. I don't know how safe the 'Soul' is, what the storage capacity is like and how many miles to the gallon I get (all things I want to know when buying a car). I will say that it is an interesting ad because it employs creative measures in ways that other companies have not, but that does not change the fact that the advertisement conveys a certain message to me. In truth, the ad tells me the following:
1) The car is really small because the ad displays hamsters driving it
2) The car is youthful and a device for fun so it is probably not practical
3) The car is a Kia
4) The car is clearly liked by robots and frighteningly large hamsters (how does this help humans?)

Since I don't have any real information about the car, watching the ad is the closest I will ever get to a 'Soul.' The company's campaign for the 'Soul' is "A new way to roll," meaning it is a car that is new, fun, and different than anything else on the road.  The problem that remains, however, is that I don't know why the car is different. I think the advertisements could have kept the fun nature, but they should have done more to really emphasize what this car is doing for me.

So for now, I will keep my Scion.

No comments:

Post a Comment