Friday, September 23, 2011

Artist Date

One of our requirements for creative thinking and problem solving is an artist's date. Last week I went for a long walk and, due to the beautiful weather, it refreshed my soul. I really enjoy my artist dates because it allows me to get lost in whatever I do. I get to experience something new and different and that is empowering. The artist dates have also given me a chance to reflect on what I have done in the past. What artist dates could I have ventured on without even knowing it?

I thought for a while and then realized that I am a very lucky person because my life is filled with artist dates. I go to movies and Broadway shows. I read books that allow my mind to wander free and I sit outside for hours staring at the trees. Even some of my past assignments have allowed me to culture myself.

In case you were wondering, that last part is what this blog is about. Technically, it is about Louis Comfort Tiffany (not to confused with his father - the jeweler). Louis Comfort was a brilliant artist and most of his work was in stained glass.

He made a variety of pieces, from bowls to church windows. His life was incredible, but I won't get into that here since I covered it in my thesis in high school. My thesis allowed me to explore the life of a brilliant, and misunderstood, artist. His creativity was astounding and I wonder how people can have such creativity. Today, his stained glass can sell for easily over 20,000 dollars - and that is for a lamp. This assignment cultured me and made me think differently about true creativity.


Louis Comfort Tiffany's story ended in tragedy because the warehouse that stored most of his art was destroyed. Luckily some pieces were salvaged and his creativity lives on in those alone. I often think about what would have happened if everything had been destroyed. Perhaps creativity would have been discovered through other means. Perhaps creative people are not defined by what they create, but by how they use their gift to influence a person. Louis Comfort Tiffany's artwork influenced me and I use it as a guide to live my life more creatively and as a lesson to never give up, even when every thing seems to be against you.

The following video demonstrates some of Tiffany's work. It shows the whole range of his creative genius.


1 comment:

  1. Hi.
    Your article is very informative and touching. I like what you write about creativity, how it influences people and how it's resilience impresses you. But could you please, if you post pictures, remember to give the references? It would be so helpful, and good practice, to mention the full title, year, maybe even the materials of each piece along with the picture. I hope this doesn't come across as rough, I just really think, that it is important and will be recognized by most readers. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete